Let's begin by taking a closer look at all the parts included. This is sprue A, which includes several different components from engine, to chassis and also interior!
Seen above, is sprue B that includes most of the engine and chassis pieces. I must say that the V10 is superbly detailed here! I like that...
Sprue C is the last big sprue part and once again houses various different pieces
The body is simply amazing too. So smooth... with just a very little amount of tiny mold lines to take care of. Rims are gorgeous too, so are the seats. Masking for the windows is there too, while the tiny bags contain the poly caps and little magnets for the rear spoiler
These are the last plastic pieces included together with the tires... which are simply amazing! Rear ones are wider and are very realistic too. Clear sprue is spot on, great!
Finally, you also get this photo-etch sheet attached to the bottom side of the box lid. When I received the kit and was checking the contents, I panicked as I thought this sheet was missing! But then, I turned the box upside down and realized it was attached there!
My plans are to build an LFA Nurburgring Edition, a scaled version of one of the only 50 that exist worldwide! To help me with this, I shall be using the Hobby Design HD03-0140 Detail-Up Set. If you want to see what is exactly included in this set, click here
First thing to do was to start preparing the first batch of parts for primer. During the process, I didn't like the standard trio of exhaust pipes where Tamiya simply instructs to paint the tips in black. This will make them look unrealistic, so instead I cut them off, drilled the necessary holes and replaced them with 3 metal tips (as can be seen above)
Next job were the disc brakes where I followed the instructions of the HD photo-etch leaflet (inset). This instructs to cut off the hubs from the standard discs, install the photo-etch pieces and re-install the hubs. This is what I did, as can be followed above
The original hubs were difficult to cut perfectly clean, so instead of re-using them I decided to make new ones from styrene and glue the photo-etch hub faces to these. I have also used 2 different thickness of styrene since the front and rear hubs on the original disc brakes had different thickness. Seen above is the styrene and two finished hubs
With all the parts cleaned and modifications completed, the first batch of pieces were airbrushed with the automotive 2K primer
First colour airbrushed was semi-gloss black to the parts that need to be finished in aluminium. This is not really necessary, however I feel the aluminium finish gets more realistic with a slightly shining black underneath
Next job was to airbrush the aluminium colour to the same parts and begin masking where required so that the next colours could be airbrushed
Next colour to be airbrushed, was semi-gloss black to all the parts that needed to be finished in this colour. Some parts, like the exhaust, will be airbrushed with more colours
Using the semi-gloss black as a base colour, the pieces in the upper part of the picture above were airbrushed with matt clear, while the bottom ones with 2K clear
With the 2K clear drying, I focused my work on the disc brakes where I took the photo-etch pieces, attached them to the rotary tool and sanded off their surface to make them more realistic. For this, I used a different grades of sand papers and a round file
Then, I airbrushed all four brake calipers in red, followed by masking them to airbrush more colours. The middle photo-etch pieces were airbrushed in a custom mixed dark grey while the discs were slightly airbrushed in black to simulate carbon discs
Picture above shows the layers of masking done to several parts to achieve all the required colours. The suspension items above needed to be in 3 different colours
Finally, all the parts that needed to be finished in chrome were airbrushed with Alclad chrome. All of these pieces were previously airbrushed with 2K clear beneath the chrome
All the engine and gearbox pieces were then assembled and here they are before being attached to the exhaust part
All the exhaust pieces were also airbrushed and connected together. I used the picture seen above (inset) as a reference for colours
The disc brakes were also assembled after all colours were airbrushed and decals applied. They are made up of 4 separate pieces, as shown in the photo-etch manual
At this stage all that remained what to assemble all the engine and drivetrain components together and call it done. Here it is, all finished and ready to attach to the chassis
Then the arches and pedals were assembled in preparation for the next required steps
The chassis was also finished in semi-gloss black, aluminium and chrome
Next job was the interior so I started by cleaning the seats from the transkit. They only required minimal cleaning and I also opened all the upper and lower harness holes
I also started preparing parts from the engine bay and chassis for primer. Some of these required attaching photo-etch parts from the HD sheet. These were a perfect fit
With the second batch of parts all cleaned up, next job was to attach them to the sticks and airbrush some primer. As always, primer is the automotive 2K grey primer
Next, several parts were airbrushed with satin black. For some parts, this will be their final colour, however for others it will serve as a base for further colours to be airbrushed
Some other interior parts were airbrushed with Tamiya XF-63, German Grey
It was then time to start adding the details to each part, beginning with the steering. The 4 pictures above show step by step how I got the finished wheel to look as it is
Next job is to continue working on all the interior and engine bay pieces, so keep watching for more updates on the Lexus LFA.