ZoomOn Box. This is the Latest ver. full resin kit
These are all the resin parts found inside the box
Together with decals, windows, manuals, masking & photo-etch sheets
First thing I did was to start cleaning the parts. Above are the rims during cleaning. ZoomOn did a great job molding the valves with the rims, however I removed these to replace them with metal ones later on. Left pair is standard, right is cleaned with no valves
Then I temporarily assembled the suspensions, brakes and wheels where I discovered that all of these needed some work to align the rims perfectly in the middle of the arches
So I decided to tackle this problem my own way! Above is the steps I took to modify the rims and brakes in such a way that once sprayed, I would be able to attach them fixed wherever I felt best. This will avoid correcting each suspension unit separately and as a procedure, it's similar to the one in my tutorial "Lowering certain Tamiya kits".
The Motec dash was missing so I decided to make my own from an extra resin piece
This was followed with the first colours being airbrushed accordingly
Chassis was first airbrushed in black, then masked and airbrushed in automotive white together with all of the roll-cage and door pieces. Thanks goes to Mark for this great paint!
After that, the door panels were masked and airbrushed in satin black, while the back of the seat and the rims were airbrushed with 2K clear
Back of the seat was then masked, MOMO decals attached and finally airbrushed with matt clear. Spoon logo on radiator was airbrushed while brakes and pedals were finished
At this point I decided to make a new, more realistic battery from scrap resin pieces and wire. Finally, a new sticker for the front was made according to a 1:1 Antigravity battery
New stickers were also custom made for the dash, ECU and steering. These were done to add more details and according to the real items installed on the Spoon FD2
All the parts were painted and detailed accordingly, so all that remained was assembly
To make the battery more realistic, I added a tray made from a scrap photo-etch piece
After installing several parts in place, it was then time to start plumbing! For this job I've used 0.6mm braided line and 0.8mm resin hose joints, both from Top Studio
Referring to the real Spoon Sports FD2, I've added all the necessary plumbing
Then, I focused my attention on the wiring. Once again, I constantly referred to the real Spoon Sports FD2 where using several wires of different thickness, I detailed the interior
Several other detailing parts were scratch-built, like the master switch, power steering pump, electrical box and knobs next to the fire extinguisher
Finally, here's a look at the interior floor with all the interior and plumbing complete
At this point all that remained was to assemble all the remaining pieces together (except for both door cards) and call the interior done
And here are two pictures showing the door cards installed in place
The chassis was also finished. This was simply airbrushed with semi-gloss black and only minor details were added. This is since all of the chassis will be covered later on
Next, were the wheels. These were finished with silver lug nuts and HD air valves
The brakes were also finished, as seen above, so it was time to assemble them too
Finally, tire decals were attached and everything assembled together
With the wheels ready, it's now time to start working on the body. This will take more time than expected to prepare for primer since the body is in a very poor state. Its surface is very grainy, like covered with harsh orange peel and has several flaws which need correction. All of this will consume a lot of time to finish. Very disappointed indeed
So first thing I did was the most time consuming; sand down the ugly body surface! Then, I began correcting errors. First job was the hood where the original vents were molded very badly. So I removed them and made my own. Old exhaust hole was also filled
Next was the side-skirt! Here I cut off the part where there was a molding defect, and instead inserted a new styrene piece. This was then filled with super glue and sanded. Also, a note on the front bumper to anyone building this kit, the Latest Version: You need to cut off the two pins marked red above. Left one is still there while the right has been removed already. Instead, you'll fit the supplied covers later on
Then finally, after more than 2 weeks of sanding and corrections, I was able to lay down my first layer of primer. Top side of the above picture shows the body I began working with, bottom one is after first layer of primer! Still some work to do, but nearly there!
And here's another picture of the other side. Once again, top part shows the body with damages as I received it, bottom shows the first layer of primer applied. Quite happy!
After applying the primer, all remaining defects like small scratches were corrected and body was once again sanded down to obtain the smoothest surface possible
At this stage I also realized that the body needs further smoothing from the inside to fit the windows properly. Several body parts also need further correction before going for primer, and for now I've had enough of sanding resin. So before I loose motivation for this hobby, I decided to pack the FD2 back in the box, and pause this project for the time being. I need a light project to cool my head down and continue this one when I'm done. So... sorry for not being able to continue this mess. I need a break from it, honestly I do!
Updates on the Spoon Sports Civic FD2 will resume as soon as I'm done with the current project. Thanks to everyone that have shown their support and input during this build.